Information Page

The Urgent need for Foster Parents

In South Africa thousands of children are in desperate need of loCopy Right Protectving care in a stable family environment. These children have been removed from their family due to sexual, physical, or psychological abuse, as well as neglect. They are in urgent need of becoming a part of a family where they can be loved and nurtured. Sadly, there’s a critical shortage of loving, secure homes that will unconditionally commit to making a difference in the lives of these hurting children.  As a Foster Parent you can offer these children a brighter future and the opportunity to achieve their full potential in life. CSC North – Foster Care Information Booklet


Foster care is not the same as legally adopting a child. “Foster care is the placement of a child, who needs to be removed from the parental home, into the custody of a suitable family or person willing to be foster parents. This is done by order of the Children’s Court.” Children can be removed from the custody of their biological parents if they are abused, neglected or abandoned. In South Africa, poverty contributes to abuse, neglect and abandonment, but these issues are not limited to poor communities.

The Benefits of becoming a Foster Parent

As a foster parent, you will experience many challenges and some difficult days – but most parents find that the joy of seeing their foster children push through their own pain and anger far outweighs it. As your foster child moves through their own difficult emotions, he will look to you for love and support, and become more and more a part of your family. Many foster parents are still “home base” to the children they fostered, and welcome them back home for holidays and summer vacations even after they’ve reached adulthood.


Prospective foster parents are screened by welfare organizations to ensure they are suitable to take on the responsibility of caring for a child. The factors taken into account when screening applicants include:  The age of the prospective foster parents; The health of the prospective foster parents; The family composition and income; etc. Although foster placement is temporary in nature, the screening process is taken seriously and always in the best interests of the child. Prospective foster parents will also be interviewed about their views on raising children and education, their attitude towards the biological parents, and their motivation to foster a child who is not their own. Religious and cultural factors are also taken into consideration, factors which may have considerable implications in a country made up of diverse ethnic groups.

Responsibilities of Foster Parents

South Africa has a current shortage of social workers. Nevertheless, social workers are responsible for the supervision of foster parents, which usually takes the form of annual house visits, unless there are problems related to the placement. The obligations of foster parents include: Giving proper maintenance and care to the child; and Granting reasonable access to the child’s biological parents. In South Africa, foster parents are permitted to discipline a child in their custody. They are not permitted to deal with any property belonging to the child (that the child has brought into the household or received as a gift from the biological parents), consent to the marriage of the child or to a medical procedure that may endanger the child’s life. And a foster child is not allowed to be taken out of South Africa without prior authorization.

Applying to be a Foster Parent

Prospective foster parents should contact the Department of Social Development or Christian Social Council offices in their area (see list below for contact information).  After contacthas been made, a screening process with a social worker and a house visitation will follow.  Foster parents will then be summoned to appear before the Children’s Court, where the social worker will recommend that a child be placed with the suitable foster parents who have already undergone the screening process.

Should you be interested in becoming Foster Parents, please click on this link to access a List with Contact details, of Christian Social Council Offices, in your area.


607 Responses to Information Page

  1. Hi, my husband and I are in our mid 30’s, we would really like to Foster children for a few years preferable infants or toddlers until they are teenagers. We don’t mind if the biological mother wants to be involved in fact we encourage that the child builds a relationship with her biological family. We run a small business and are both educated and will be able to provide very well for the child / children( siblings) we have. I kids of our own. Please contact me on

  2. Fidelis Lux says:

    Dear All,

    Firstly, thank you for your dedicated commitment to caring for all God’s children. I am the biological father of a beautiful 5 year old (white, English) girl, who needs some remedial education. The mother and I were never married and separated years ago. Although I don’t see the child I still pay around R7,000 per month for maintenance and schooling. Unfortunately the mother is an alcoholic, and despite attempts to quit, seems to be getting worse, and is about to be evicted. I am looking for advice please on what to do and who to approach. I will of course continue to pay the monthly maintenance to foster parents. Unfortunately there is simply no way I can take her into my care. Even though the mother will be losing the monthly cash I believe she will agree to foster care, as long as she knows there is a chance of getting her back one day, once she has sorted herself out. As I said the child does need some intensive remedial education as she is quite far behind her peers in cognitive development.

    • Good day. Please contact your closest CMR or Welfare Offices and have the foster placement arranged through the proper legal channels. This will enure that both the biological and foster parents as well as the child are protected from potential unfair practices.

      On 24 Sep 2016 1:54 p.m., “Foster Care in South Africa” wrote:

  3. Dungu says:

    Good day.
    I am a single mother to an 11 year old daughter. I have given up on having other children so I would like foster or even adopt a child below the age of one. Can the CSC or the walfare offices be able to assist?

  4. Daisy says:

    hi,Im 20,have a child and hs 1 year 7 months.I have no job,I’m not at school.nothing is happening in my life.I feel trapped as I can’t even do anything to make my baby’s life ok.father of the child denied him and is a drug addict.iv been left to handle this child.pls can someone foster my child so that I can go out there and get a job or even go back to school.Im just a mess and can’t raise a child in my from a poor family.I just want someone to love my baby because im in no condition to do living in pain everyday of how someone can do this to me and deny everything.please if ur someone who has love and can care for my child til I stand on my feet,help me

  5. Rene says:

    Hi there
    My husband and I are in the process of fostering a little girl who is 7. We have been involved with her for the last 6 months and the access is being increased to the point that she is allowed to sleep over at our house. We are hoping that she will be with us full time by January. On Thursday we got the shattering news that her mother wants her back. She was removed as a result of physical and sexual abuse and both parents are drug addicts. The mother has made no contact for 22 months. She now claims that she has been drug-free for 8 weeks, has divorced the father and recently had her 4th child who was also removed. She now lives with the mother of the current boyfriend and is unemployed. What are the chances that the child will be returned to her? How long must a drug addict be clean in order to have children returned to her?
    Please help.

    • Unfortunately there’s just as many possible outcomes as there are histories. Due to the diverse background of each case, there’s just no guarantees or definite’s in foster care.

      What I can however say is that one of the Children’s courts requirements is that drug addicted biological parents must test ‘clean’ for at leat two years, before reunification with their children will be possible.

      Also just because the mother says she wants her child back, does not entitle her to it. She will have to prove a stable income, home environment, etc. as well.

      The assigned Social worker will be the best person to guide you in your specific situation.

      On 31 Jul 2016 20:25, “Foster Care in South Africa” wrote:


      • Rene says:

        Dear Heloise

        Thank you so much for your response. We have to deal with 4 social workers and none of them have the same story. One even said that if mom is clean for 8 weeks and she gets a nice judge he will rule in her favour! One last question is the two year rule still in place because in two months there won’t have been any contact for two years so we are still hoping for that.

        She has 4 children who have been removed so how much will the court expect her to earn to support them?

  6. Yolande says:

    Hi Helouise
    I would like to start off asking if there is a support group for foster parents in the West Rand of Johannesburg perhaps. I found your blog through Grace and would like to know if there is something like that or if not, perhaps start something.
    We are foster parents of a 15y/o boy and have been so for 4 years.
    We have done some research about the challenges, but as ordinary people without training and born in skills, are having a tough time at the moment. Unfortunately our Child Services are of no emotional help and I think we are a blessing to them as our boy has a place to stay and they have one less soul to worry about.
    We are in two minds and don’t know whether this is heading for a break-up or a huge mind-set change.
    We would like to chat to likeminded people who are in the situation we are in, but also counselling turned out to be very very expensive for our two income family.
    I will post a little more info at a later stage.
    God Bless you for this blog and I look forward to your reply

    Kindest Regards

  7. chantel says:

    Hi all. I would like to get some advice plz. My son’s father and family kept my son away from me for 9 years. I finally got contact with him and had him over for school holidays. He told me that he is being abused with spanking everyday. I went to a social worker and also requested the foster parents to bring along the court order. It then turned out they had fraud documents with the cmr and no court order. They even used child act 16 which does not exist anymore. And did another 2year extention while my son was with me. And also used their stamp and stamped it over the dates. The social worker is currently busy with the case. Could you tell me what procedures has to be followed now. Thanks

    • As each case is uniquely diverse I can not give you any advice on the procedure that has to be followed. The Social Worker will guide and advice you in the process. Please discuss your concerns and questions with her. May the truth prevail. On 14 Jul 2016 01:00, “Foster Care in South Africa” wrote:


  8. Florence says:

    I would like to be a foster parent

  9. ESME Prinsloo says:

    Where can I get more information regarding what a cluster foster care center is and how it works? I have tried every branch of Social Development and only get vague answers.

    • Don’t attempt to gather information via electronic media or telephone enquiry, as it is still a fairly new form of Foster Care. Please contact a Social Worker closest to you and make an appointment with them to discuss it in person.

      On 30 May 2016 at 11:10, Foster Care in South Africa wrote:


      • lizelle says:

        Please note that this site is secure. I have been following it for a long time and Helouise is an expert in the field of Foster Care. Her referral system is solid with individuals who truly care for these children in distress.

      • Noxolo says:

        Can u help me please im in Johannesburg east please im due on July and its almost June 0734242277…..i tried calling a social worker but they keep transferring me to other branches and don’t give me any info or anything…..

      • ESME Prinsloo says:

        Hi try to contact your nearest CMR or ACVV branch they are always very helpful .Good luck !!!!

      • As I have already explained on this forum: According to the Children’s Act a child has to be born first before he/she can be considered to be placed in foster care. After the child was born a Social Worker has to do an investigation and give an comprehensive report back to the Magistrate at the Children’s Court, to ‘find the child in need of care’. Please contact a Social Worker for emotional support until then.

  10. Linda says:

    I am a single mum i have a 11 years old boy whom i raised by myself since he was 2 years old. His father was abusive and was never around and was very alcoholic, our divorce went through in 2011 and he has never paid any child support not even a cent.

    I am working long hours, to provide good life to my son. I am now struggling emotionally, and i drink alcohol daily and i feel depressed becoz, i can not help with school projects or homework, i arrive home at 7pm Monday to Saturday. i am failing to give a structure.. Or the good family life to my son.

    I am living alone with my son, he get lonely and i am in difficult position as i found out that my son steal from me mostly money, and he lies a lot.

    What i am looking for is a good family who can give him that love and care so that he get to become A good boy.

    I am willing to contribute financiallymonthly or weekly and pay schoolfees and all his needs.

    Please if anyone has information or know a way to help me please contact me on

    Thank you to all

    • Good day. Please contact your closest CSC or Welfare Offices, and make an appointment with a social worker to discuss your situation with her. She will be able to assist you. On 29 May 2016 11:45 PM, “Foster Care in South Africa” wrote:


  11. Derek Prinsloo says:

    What is the limitation in terms of number of children in foster care. Can a married couple foster more children than a single person? How does Cluster Foster care work?

    • According to The Children’s of Act 38 of 2005 a maximum of six children can be in foster care per household (single or two persons). Cluster foster care refers to a registerd Nonprofit organisation that complies with the Nonprofit Organisations Act 71 of 1997; have been approved to provide cluster foster care by the provincial head of social development. On 27 May 2016 13:15, “Foster Care in South Africa” wrote:


  12. Nwabisa says:

    My mom was a single parent until she got married 3 years ago , from then she changed and she isn’t as loving as she was anymore she allows the man she’s married to to shout at me for nothing and when I walked away once he hit me and so did my mom when I tried to walk away. I keep quiet to keep the peace and try keeping my well manners but it doesn’t help…I am in grade 11 and I want to finish school but I can’t continue to live here. Can someone please help me, I am hoping to find someone to act as my guardian up until I’ve reached my matric.

    • You will have to report your situation to your school social worker, who will be able to help you. If your school doesn’t have one, speak to a teacher you feel comfortable with, who will be able to make an appointment with a social worker on your behalf. On 19 May 2016 5:19 PM, “Foster Care in South Africa” wrote:


  13. tokoloshe2013 says:

    My foster daughter needed an operation last year, and I have always understood that treatment in state health care facilities is free for children in formal foster care (which she is, there is a court order). The hospital are now claiming that I owe them for the operation, although I have shown them the court order. Could you point me in the direction of which law/section to refer to?
    Many thanks

  14. Rory Wade says:

    I am 55 years old and lived with a ‘foster’ family my entire life. These ‘foster’ parents have both passed on and now I would like to track my biological mother. The Dept of Adoptions confirms that I was never formally adopted so they have no records. My unabridged birth certificate provides my mothers maiden name but no ID number for her. Any suggestions how I can proceed with my search knowing that she would probably have married and changed her surname.

  15. Siphokazi says:

    Hi i don’t know whether you can help me or not. I want to know when can i find foster care here in port Elizabeth. Plz help

    • Welfare Offices Port Elizabeth. Open from 08:00 to 16:00, Monday to Friday. Services are free of charge. Tel:+27 41 586 0468 Physical Address:Office 1503, 5th Floor, Oasim North Building On 14 May 2016 2:28 PM, “Foster Care in South Africa” wrote:

  16. pinky says:

    iam a 24 year old I have a 6 year old child a girl I wud like her to get a home till I find a job I lost my mum last year together with my sister and I stay with my other sister who is taking care of 4 kids and she makes my child a burden and I want to look for a job and get a better life for my child. I have no other options.

    • Good day. Please contact your closest CSC or Welfare Offices and make an appointment with a social worker. She will be able to advice and assist you. On 13 May 2016 12:37 PM, “Foster Care in South Africa” wrote:


  17. christinah says:

    Hi I’m a 28 year old mom to be.I want to give my baby up for adoption.where can I get assistance as I’m not working and I had to drop out of college.when I found out I was pregnant I told the babys father and he said I must have an abortion but at that time it too late because I was 5months pregnant so he beat me up and I had to call the police.I left him and told him I had an abortion which I ddnt do,so I’m afraid if I keep the baby and go back to germiston to my aunt with the baby he will know its his.please I need help urgently as I am 8 months pregnant and I want the baby to be taken after I give birth.I’m in rustenburg right now.I plan to re-register in june

    • Jody says:

      Good day.
      Please contact me on
      I know someone who has been screened that is interested

    • Please urgently contact your closest CSC or Welfare Offices and discuss your situation with them. They are qualified to assist and guide you in the process. On 27 Apr 2016 15:11, “Foster Care in South Africa” wrote:


    • Deidre says:

      Hi Christinah

      This is so sad to hear, i have 4 big children that are about to leave home, will be a 1st time granny (45 years old) I so would love to adopt / foster your baby and give baby all the love that i have given my kids. Please contact me on 071 8733 977 or 083 773 2094 – i have a cot, pram that i bought for my grand daughter, but her Mom already has one.

      I live in East London, but can Travel to meet you and go threw all the legal matters


  18. Fagmieda Samaai says:

    I was a foster parent of 3 siblings. I had to give up the two older ones. They really needed sociological help. Thought they would get it from the government.I cannot see them getting it how do I get them back. Is it even possible. They are running away and I can see them changing for the worst.

  19. Partrica says:

    Hi i am in desperate need of some advice / guidance
    My nephew now 37 (whom i have had no contact since he was in primary school) contacted me about 3 weeks ago. of course i was elated and immediately made arrangements to meet with him. my husband and i met with him at his “home” a room with nothing but a double bed in the back of someone’s property and not in a very safe area. we discovered that my nephew has a 9 year old girl who he has taken custody of and she lives with him in this tiny room. the mother apparently is a prostitute and takes care of a 13 year old disabled boy.
    my nephew i have since discovered has been on drugs since the age of 16 although he works when it suits him it is mainly nightshift then this little girl is left with 2 adult men who also lives in a room on the same property to look after.
    what we have been digging up from my nephew’s past is that he moves from room to room and refuses to let go of this little girl who so desperately needs proper care.
    a christian organisation assisted in helping to get this little girl in school and some of the teachers at the school are collecting and dropping her off to and from school on the days that my nephew decides to either wake up in time for her to go to school or when pressure is placed on him from the school to make sure she attends
    a teacher at the school took this little girl and made her part of their family for almost a year with the consent of my nephew. she florished at school but would be “difficult” after visits with her father as the only outings for her with him would be to walk miles and go sit ina partk somewhere or send her into shops to beg for food
    the teacher did her best to keep these visits to a minimum as it disrupted and confused the little girl drastically. my nephew then accused the teacher and her family of kidnapping his child and they were left with no choice but to hand her back to him
    he has moved with this little girl from room to room over the past couple of months – where he now stays the landlady took pity on them as she found them in a park and he told them they were kicked out of their home – we have also discovered that he owes the company he works for more money than he earns
    a file was opened and social workers worked with this little girl near her school but when my nephew moved out of the area they closed their file and transferred it to jhb welfare over a year ago
    jhb welfare has since denied ever receiving the file and accordingly no follow up were ever done and the little girl lost in the system
    since my husband and i met with my newphew it has been one long battle being shunted from pillar to post
    i had the saps go with me to assist in removing the child but as she was not at home at the time they couldn’t / wouldn’t do much more
    i opened a file at jhb welfare and the depart originally dealing with this matter again sent their file to jhb welfare
    everyone i have spoken to including the saps has said this child is at risk and she needs to be removed urgently0
    jhb welfare has tried in vain to find a safe home / foster home / institution for this little girl before removing her but have not been successful as nobody want to assist as the little one was never registered at birth and has no documentation
    jhb welfare two days ago gave us a glimmer of hope when they asked us to complete a Form 30 do a screening which was done by the original christian organisation and forwarded onto jhb welfare where i was informed that they would present the case to court as a matter of urgency to have her removed and placed in our care temporarily until a home could be found for her
    the very next day the social worker changed all of this by confirming she will not be going to court she will rather instead go with the police and attend at the home to remove the child and will “try” and get my nephew to enter a personal agreement with us to care for his child. i clearly requested that i cannot allow this as i will have no leg to stand on should he come and want his child back in a month or two. he will also not be forced to enter a rehabiliation centre or work at his life to be better. as much as i want to help this little girl i feel very let down by the welfare department as it would seem they are inundated and assistance is only given during office hours. this little girls life does not end at 4 oclock in the afternoon nor does it stop on a weekend.
    could anyone give some guidance as to how to get this little girl out of this terrible situation and at least attempt to give her a chance in life as she is after all innocent in all of this
    thank you

    • From your description of the situation it sounds as if there is an Social Worker involved with her case. My advice will be to urgently contact the Social Worker involved and request a meeting with both her AND her Manager to discuss your frustrations and intent, with them. Reiterated the urgency of the matter on behalf of the girl, and request there urgent assistance in ensuring her safety. Should you have the means to afford a Lawyer I would also involve him/her immediately. You can also make an appointment with a Family Advocate at the Children’s Court and discuss your options with him/her. Thank you for not giving up. On 27 Apr 2016 09:28, “Foster Care in South Africa” wrote:


  20. Yolandi says:

    Hi. I would like to find out what the minimum age is to become forester parents. I just turned 28 and my husband will be 32 in a few months

  21. Nikita says:

    We are desperate for any kind of advice regarding our foster case. We have been fostering my biological nephew for 3 years, since he was just 2 weeks old. His mother, my sister, a convicted drug addict for at least 16 years has been to prison on many occasions. The father of the child is a suspected illegal immigrant and drug dealer. The bio parents after 3 years are now demanding the little boy be returned permanently to them….we fought the matter in the magistrates court. A very incompetent social worker was assigned to the case and collated a reporting stating the bio parents were fit to regain ( i say regain but at no stage had they ever cared for this child) custody. This report was submitted to court containing inaccurate information yet the magistrate entertained it. Long story short the bio parents do not have jobs, the mother failed to show for drug tests on several occasions and the father has been seen dealing drugs and displays irrational violent behavior…and yet the magistrates court has ruled in favour of the biological parents! This has devastated us because feel that the magistrate did not take the best interests of the child into consideration, he i snot in safe hands and we need to know what recourse we have at this stage? We do not have funds to hire a private lawyer and have been utilizing the services of legal aid but are there any other organisations who may be able to assist us?

    • My heart breaks for you, as we also had to say goodbye to a child after 5 years. Unfortunately there is no other options available to you, other than hiring a private advocate. On 10 Apr 2016 22:08, “Foster Care in South Africa” wrote:


      • Nikita says:

        Hi Helouise

        This situation has left our family broken, especially since we feel that the process was not followed properly. We have a 7 year old who feels like she has lost her little brother as well. My husband and I have decided to take out a loan on our bond to fight this situation. A little boy’s life is on the line and that cannot be ignored. We will never forgive ourselves if anything happens to him.

        Do you mind me asking under what circumstances you had to give up your foster relationship after 5 years? We unfortunately do not know of anyone else who has been in a similar situation and any advise is very helpful. If it is too personal, espesially using this forum, I completely understand.

      • Each situation is unique, but our foster child’s biological parents hired lawyers. And the offices that we fostered through supported the reunification. On 12 Apr 2016 11:14 AM, “Foster Care in South Africa” wrote:


  22. Liezel says:

    Hi ons wil ook n kleintjie foster maar bly in vryheid as hulle ons nie hier kan help nie kan mens van enige provinsie of dorp n kleintjie foster of hoe werk dit

  23. Emma says:

    Hi there!
    I’m from Sweden but now living in South Africa. Would love to help out as a foster parent one day but there are so many scary stories about involvement by abusive biological parents. Is adoption a better option?
    Thank you!

    • Good day. I think it all depends on your own personal preference.

      I will advice you to make an appointment with a social worker at your closest CSC or Welfare Offices and discuss it with her.

      Show quoted text On 08 Apr 2016 11:28, “Foster Care in South Africa” wrote:

  24. adri says:

    Thank you so much for your response but since I live in a small town , the office that placed my son has since closed and when I do go to court I get the run around and no awnsers , my sons placment was for two years and has since elapsed, no new agreements where sighned in court , so is the court order for foster placement of 2 years still valid ,

  25. adri says:

    I have a child that was placed in foster care and need some ones advise on how I go about getting costody back of my child any advise would be greatly apreciated

    • adri says:

      Pls any advise

      • You will have to make an appointment with a social worker for reunification services at your closest CSC, Welfare, or SAFF offices (preferably with the same office’s that deals with your children’s foster placement). The social worker will guide you in the process of how to reunify (restore the children in) with your children. You can also approach the Children’s Court and place your application before them. On 5 Apr 2016 11:38, “Foster Care in South Africa” wrote:


  26. Vanessa says:

    Hi there, my husband and i would love to foster a child, we do have two children 10 and 5 year olds, we do have stable jobs and we are a happy bunch but we love to have more kids running around our home, we are residing in Bloemfontein. how long is the process for a child to be placed in our care and do they allow more than one child to be fostered by same couple? Probably few months old?

    • Foster care is the temporary care of children found to be in need by the Children’s Court, until they can be reunified with their biological families. Their length of stay with a foster family (especially infants) are therefore meant to be kept as short as possible. Weekly or sometimes even more frequent visits are the average in the case of infants, so you can start to imagine how disruptive, taxing and emotionally draining the process can become.

      Many factors play a role in the length of time it takes for a child to be placed with a foster family. The prospective foster family contacts the closest CSC or Welfare Offices to obtain the necessary application forms, and a social worker contacts them for an interview. A Form 30 (sexual offence register clearance) as well as a Police clearance will also be requested during the screening process. Depending on the outcome of the screening process and the length of time the Form 30 clearance takes (there is currently and 10 month back lock at the department) you will be contacted with the outcome and in the case of successful applications, possible placements will be discussed. The extreme diverse and unique background of each child and their families can also affect the process. In summary there is no time frame…

      As foster children come to you traumatized (just the removal from their biological families causes immense trauma no matter how bad the situation they were removed from) and emotionally & physically neglected as well as with developmental delays – I always advice foster families to start of with one foster child (or siblings) and then reassess their situation and capacity after 2 years .

      Helouise Steenkamp On 2 Apr 2016 15:17, “Foster Care in South Africa” wrote:


  27. Allen Mongwe says:

    Good day Helouise Steenkamp

    I have applied for a foster care grant for my siblings.We lost both parents.Our father passed away in 2007, and our mother passed away in 2014 July. I then visited social work office to apply for foster care grant i submitted all the documents as requested by then social worker.Up to date I haven’t received any feed back.I always make follow ups with the social worker and the social worker indicates that she is still waiting for a feed back from Pretoria in order to proceed with the application.Its been 2 years now waiting,, I am the elder sister and four siblings.I am not working we only depend on child grant support.

    • You can only apply for a foster grant after the Children’s Court had officially placed the children in your lawful Foster Care. A Social Worker can NOT apply for the grant on your behalf. You have to apply for it yourself directly at the SASSA office’s. On 31 Mar 2016 12:34 pm, “Foster Care in South Africa” wrote:


  28. dorina van niekerk says:

    Hi I am taking care of a girl for the past 5 years. Her mom ask that she should stay and we then went to social welfare. Social welfare was in my home once. And still she is not even placed in foster care after 5 years although we take care of her and pay all expenses. Pls indicate how long may social welfare take before placing a kid either in foster care or in her biological parents care.

    • Usually the official Foster Care process should be finalised within the first year after placement, but it is also influenced by other external factors, such as the approval of your Form 30, obtaining Police Clearances, etc. What reason does the supervisory social worker give you for the delay? On 28 Mar 2016 21:45, “Foster Care in South Africa” wrote:


  29. Monique Du plessis says:

    Good day… I jeed assistance, my children was placed in my parents foster care for two years, it is now the sixth month, can it be reviwed? My parents put off my childrens phones and denies me and my husband to access to them. They are eight and four years old…… the children was removed from our custody after I just came out of icu… my parents told me my husband had hit me and I got a brain shock, just to find out that I had an epileptic episode. I was not declared epileptic as it was the first time… my husband at that time also was out of rehab a month so it was based on that I suffer from depression and also the passed drug addition of my husband….. please assist me… I need my boys

    • You will have to make an appointment with a social worker for reunification services at your closest CSC, Welfare, or SAFF offices (preferably with the same office’s that deals with your children’s foster placement). The social worker will guide you in the process of how to reunify (restore the children in) with your children. You can also approach the Children’s Court and place your application before them. On 23 Mar 2016 15:58, “Foster Care in South Africa” wrote:


  30. sbusiso says:

    am Sbusiso i have 22yrs old. my problm is am in collage doing Ncv level1,both patent waz daeth. so i want to aask that can i get a help wth money
    of foster care grant

    • To qualify for a foster grant you have to be younger than 18 years of age, and have been placed in foster care with a foster family by the Children’s court.

      Helouise Steenkamp On 1 Mar 2016 22:08, “Foster Care in South Africa” wrote:


  31. Esti Fourie says:

    Hi there….

    We are really interested in becoming foster parents,but would like to find out how strict they are on the financial screening process as my husband was retrenched 2years ago which caused some financial restrains and resulted in us being listed on ITC however he has found reliable employment with secure income which will allow us with more than sufficient funds to look after foster children. So my question is ….will the ITC listing prevent us from becoming foster parents?

  32. Ashley says:

    I was hoping you could help me.
    My fiance was in Foster Care in Vanderbijlpark many years back however he was never legally adopted and his Foster parents were extremely abusive towards him so he ran off at a very young age and has no contact with them. We are trying to find his biological mother but he refuses to try contact his foster parents after what they put him through and I believe that they will just lie to us anyway. I have tried a few other sites already and no one is getting back to me… I don’t know where else to look?
    Do you know who I can try or where I can go to help him find his mother?
    Thank you.

    • Where/with whom did he stay after running away? How old was he that time?

      Helouise Steenkamp On 24 Feb 2016 09:12, “Foster Care in South Africa” wrote:


      • Ashley says:

        Hi there,
        As far as I know he stayed with a friend in Pretoria after walking all the way, he won’t give me a name however.
        I believe it was in the year 2000, so he was around 17 years old at the time.

      • Unfortunately, the best way to find his biological parents will be for him to contact the Welfare offices that oversaw his foster placement. If he doesn’t know who it was, you can always offer to contact his former foster parents on his behalf, and ask them. Strongs. On 25 Feb 2016 1:07 PM, “Foster Care in South Africa” wrote:


  33. brenda says:

    Hie iam looking for my niece and nephew thst where taken from the airport due to suspected child theft of some sort just dont knw hhow and where to look for them plz help.

  34. Mbali says:

    Hi,, i need a 25 year old single mother of a 3 year old boy,,im struggling to give my boy the life he deserves as i am nt working and dont hav parents,,i used to stay with his father and he became more and more abusive torwards me,,he could not even care how it was affecting the boy…i ended up leaving college and had to find work for me and my child to survive…my life is stuck..i cant do anything as i cant afford to rent a place in a good condition for hom and put him in a good school…my child is my happiness and i only want the best for him…i would like and appreciate if i could get a couple that can look after him while i work and finish my studys so that i can provide him the life he deserves…. Thank you….Mbali in Pietermaritzburg

    • Please contact the closest CSC or Welfare Office’s to you and discuss your decision with them. Unfortunately this is not an foster parent / child match blog.

      Helouise Steenkamp On 22 Feb 2016 01:06, “Foster Care in South Africa” wrote:


  35. Glynis van der Walt says:

    Can you please advise me as to the number of court ordered foster care placements in RSA in 2016? I am needing statistics for my LLD on intercountry adoption. Many thanks

  36. Bibi says:

    Good day wonder if you could give me some advice please I have a little boy of 8yrs old in our foster care he has a conical sickness has a stoma bag been with us since 2yrs old. Cmr has been helping us financial for a few yrs Father give R300 pm as per court order but the Cmr can no longer help fiancial as we have to traval from Mp to pta drs steve Biko, at times we have to stay there when he has to have opperation ( has had 16 ) what I would like to know is it the foster perants are responsabile for all cost. Thank you regards Bibi

    • Good day. Firstly thank you so much for your wonderful commitment to this precious child. As you know Foster Children qualify for free medical treatment at Any state owned clinic or hospital. Unfortunately all non profit organisations are under major strain as financial donations of both private and government donations are dwindling. The only financial assistance we as foster parents are entitled to by law, is the SASSA foster grant. Please try and make another appointment with his social worker and reiterate your desperate situation and request assistance. I so wish I could refer you to someone who would be able to help.

      Helouise Steenkamp On 02 Feb 2016 6:38 PM, “Foster Care in South Africa” wrote:


  37. Mandisa says:

    Good day

    My name is Mandisa Hlongwane I’m 30years old and a single mum to 3 kids. I’m in dire need of a safe place to leave them so I can go back to school. I’ve had to stay with them since my eldest was born as my family life is riveted by alcohol abuse. My father has been an alcoholic since the day I met him when he came to live with us in my mothers home when I was 12 and life changed drastically. We’ve endured all sorts of abuse at his hands and it has slowly filtered down to my kids. He hits them whenever I’m not around and pics on them constantly. They are now scared to be home when I’m not there. My eldest who was a top five student in her grade has dropped significantly.. I’m scared she’s slowly becoming me when I was her age due to what’s happening around her. Despite the odds they’re very good kids and I’ve raised them well with firm Christian values. I need a chance to go study for them so I can give them a safe peaceful home. It will only be for this year (2016) while I upgrade my grade 12. Next year I’ll be able to get our church bursary and I’ll work hard to get a bursary in AgriBusiness Management so I won’t have issues with study fees. Our church also assists tertiary students with rent/resident fees which means I’ll be able to get us a place to stay. Please help me get my life on track.

    • Contact the closest CSC ore Welfare Offices to you, and make an urgent appointment to see a Social Worker. She will be able to assist you. On 21 Jan 2016 9:52 AM, “Foster Care in South Africa” wrote:


  38. mercy says:

    How long does it take social workers to do all paper work..yesterday we went in a group home where the cute little we want to foster is staying,n we talked with social workers but now we really can’t wait for her to come n be part of our family..

    • As each case is unique there is no set time period. Just make sure all your paperwork are up to date, and allow the system to follow it’s course. On 15 Jan 2016 3:20 PM, “Foster Care in South Africa” wrote:


  39. Monty says:

    Hello all please can I get some assistant my wife and I have been fostering a little girl from age of 2 month’s we have been giving mother chance to see the child but she is so afraid that she cries andwets herself when this now happens iI am afraid that this is now affecting my little one as she is having nite mares at nite she is now 5 year’s old and her biological mother wants to take her back is there any rights that I have as court has granted foster care until she is 18 year’s old please can u assist me or advise on someone that I can go and see and talk to asap I cannot see our lives with out this precious gift it will break us destroy us thank u

    • Unfortunately we as foster parents can only give feedback to the case worker, who will have to refer her for assessment and further therapy. We are not allowed to withhold visitations ourselves, but the case worker in conjunction with the therapist and children’s court can after proper investigation into her behaviour.

  40. Deli says:

    Hi All,

    I need advise, my mom is 48 year old alcoholic and has a daughter who is 5 years old. I am having an issue with the little girls father, he doesn’t want the child to get a proper education he keeps sending her to a no good nursery school. I am working and able to take care of the little girl on my own financially. I have found a decent and proper pre school for her and offered to take care of her fees and general well being.
    I am just afraid that the father will fight me legally and i might loose this battle and the child’s future will be doomed.

    I am not sure if i should go to social services as i dont want my mom to get into trouble with the law because of alcohol abuse and the child gets taken away from all of us.

    Will child welfare give me foster care to the child if i have a valid argument and can prove that i genuinely have the child’s interest at heart.

    Thank you

    • Honestly… I would make the welfare of the defenseless child my priority as she is unable to care for herself.

      • Lili says:

        Go to your local Magistrates Office and complete a “form 2”. You request a “parenting plan” in terms of Section 23 of the Chilren’s Act of 2005.
        You can do so, because you are a party concerned with the welfare of the child.
        The court will then investigate the matter and appoint the proffesionals needed to determine the best interests of the child, and rule accordingly.

  41. Marlize says:


    My husband passed away a year ago, during the morning period my sister said just for the time being while i get back on my feet she will look after my child. When in Feb last year i went to get my child she said the social welfare approached her and placed my child in her care, as i was emotionally unstable, when i approached the social worker in question she said yes. please note she never approached me, signed anything or even discussed this with me. Anyway my sister then started to restrict my access to my child and in sept i got a phone call from her social worker to appear in court. my child was placed in foster care with my sister. The report that was handed in about me i never saw or received in advance i was given no warning or chance to even try and defend myself. at the hearing i was told by social worker that if i dont agree to the foster placement my child will be sent to an orphanage. Please help i cant see my child. I now have the report and its really really full of lies. She describes my 3 bedroom house as a 4 bedroom house. Myself as an abusive person, but nothing about the fact that i am emotionally unstable as was the reason given prior to me.

    What can I do?

  42. Sharon says:

    Hi helouse I would like to know if someone doesn’t want a baby can she go to csc offices en leave the child there instead of dumping him.

  43. david says:

    Good day, I was fostered and am now 45 years old. How can I get my file from child welfare because they don’t want to give it to me? Regards David. 0824412927

    • Good evening Dawid. I apologise but have not been able to obtain the correct information for you, due to the festive time of year delays. I will only be able to give you an informed answer in January 2016. Please be patient and accept my apology for the delay. On 21 Dec 2015 5:30 AM, “Foster Care in South Africa” wrote:


    • Good day David. I have received the information you inquired about, and I must say it does seem very unfair to me, but here goes. You are allowed to view your file at the relevant welfare institution that oversaw your placement, but you are nog allowed to remove it from their offices. As yours was not an adoption case it may be that the file has already been destroyed. Each institution has it’s own policies pertaining to the length of time they keep closed foster files. On 21 Dec 2015 5:30 AM, “Foster Care in South Africa” wrote:


  44. VUYOKAZI says:

    can a teenager who is 22years old be helped due to abuse with his aunt and grandmother he left school because he was a slow learner he was not motivated since then his mother left him when he was too young now he was kicked out of his house what can we do to assist that child he is humble child love to help in a community his mother passed away when he get pieces job they love him when he don’t have money they start to treat him bad

  45. VUYOKAZI says:

    can a teenager who is 22years old be helped due to abuse with his aunt and grandmother he left school because he was a slow learner he was not motivated since then his mother left him when he was too young now he was kicked out of his house what can we do to assist that child he is humble child love to help in a community

  46. Amar says:

    Hi, this is not a foster related question. I would like to know. I want to start a childrens home in the Northern Cape but want children from Gauteng. I went to a orphanage in Pretoria once and the children were crowded in a small space. In my hometown in the NC there will be so much space to play and run around. Will the court give me children from Gauteng to raise in another province?

  47. Prisca says:


    I’m 22 years old baby mother and my son is 19 months old

    I can’t look after him I don’t have a family I’m staying with my sister and my son

    I have to finish the school so that I can apply for the job and work for him

    Is it possible for me to get the foster parent? ??

    Thanks in advance

  48. katleho says:

    i would like to foster a 2weeks baby boy
    i live in bloemfontein i work as a nurse

  49. Riana says:

    raad nodig vir n pa wie se kind in pleegsorg geplaas is en nou druk die pleeg ouers die pa vir GELD vir verskeie “redes” ,,, Die kind was by sy ma en nuwe man wat hom mishandel het toe die pa dit agterkom en raad wou he oor hoe om die situasie te hanteer het die Man se pa en “VROU” wat reeds getroud is met iemand anders de kind gevat en aansoek gedoen om pleegsorg ,,,,sonder dat die Pa n “se” het ,,,,,nou wil die pleegouers geld he vir verskeie redes en as hy nie gee nie weier hulle dat hy sy kind sien …..HELP

    • Indien die plasing wel wetlik deur die Kinderhof toegestaan is, kwalifiseer die pleegouer vir SASSA pleegtoelae van ongeveer R850 per maand. Die pleegsorgbevel kan entwer ook daaruit bestaan dat die biologiese ouers maandelikse finansiële bydraes moet maak, met seker doelwitte daaraan verbonde. MAAR dit is een van die bioligiese ouers se regte om redelike toegang tot hulle kinders te hê en NET die Kinderhof het die gesag om besoeke te weerhou, nie pleegouers nie. Hy moet ‘n afspraak met die toesighoudende maatskaplike werker maak en die situasie met haar bespreek.

      Helouise Steenkamp On 10 Nov 2015 9:38 PM, “Foster Care in South Africa” wrote:


  50. Christelle says:

    Good day, I was hoping that you could assist me with some advice… I have read through almost all the posts and I have a fling that I might not like what I am going to hear. I have a little boy that has been in my care since he has been one day old. He is now 1 month and a week old. We had an arrangement with the parents that he would stay with us and we even made it official by going to court. Both parents are addicts and are not in anyway able to support him at this stage. We contacted the Grandma and she also said that she is not willing to take him. The mom also has two other kids that were removed. All of a sudden she wants him back and has convinced her father to request to take him into Foster care. I know it has only been a month and I know that law states that the parent and chid should be reconciled. The mother is not working and is currently living with her father. He is a long distance truck driver but has been re-married. When they needed someone to take in her other to children to prevent them from being removed her father was not willing to help her. Now they want him back but not the other two kids. What are the chances that the grandfathers foster care application can be approved and the little boy removed from our care? Will the mom be allowed to stay with the grandfather if the child is removed from us and placed in our care? I have spoken to the welfare and they just said that unfortunately they cannot discuss anything with us at this stage. Our life’s are shattered just at the thought that he might go away just so that the person that did not really care about him while he was in her tummy can have another chance. She was abusing substances until the morning before he was born. Apologies for me venting but we do not want to loose this little boy just because the mother cannot see that she is once again standing in his way of having a future with someone that really cares and that really wants to make an effort for him to succeed in life.

    • I’m sorry that I can not give you the answer and assurance that you need. Unfortunately foster parents doesn’t have a lot of rights. The Children’s Court will always aim to support and re-establish the original family unit, if at all possible to do so. But they do also take into account whom the child has formed a strong attachment with. Whatever the outcome you just commit to being there completely for this little boy as long as he is entrusted to you. Strongs! On 08 Nov 2015 7:02 PM, “Foster Care in South Africa” wrote:


    • ronelle says:

      Oh Christelle my husband an I are in the same position here I thought we were alone we raised a little boy since he was 7weeks an his 1 year an 5months an we have in contact with the social workers since he was 2months now the family all wants to be involved an a part of his life never cared for him can’t evens provide went to court the court case was kicked out they need more evidence to prove the child can’t stay wit his family, the Law has already failed this child. Which area are you in feel free to contact me, then I will at least give some guidance. All the best its not easy at all, all we want is a stable environment for these children an the law reunites these kids with ther family no matter how the family abuses these kids. I pray with you an you pray with me. I await your response.

Leave a Comment /or Share your Foster Care experience

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s