A course we’ll worth attending for all Foster- and Prospective Foster Parents.
Session 1: The Foster Care Function
– The aim of foster care;
– The Unique roll of Foster Parents;
– Establishing sound Communication within the system;
– Legal Responsibilities and Rights of Foster Parents;
– How to deal with the foster child’s background and Origin (Life Journal);
– The Demands and Reality of Foster Care.
Session 2: The Foster Child
– Welcoming the new Foster Child;
– Immediate medical treatment;
– Integration & Adjustment within the foster family,
– The Impact & Effect that: Neglect and Abuse; Trauma; Separation and loss; had/have on the foster child’s brain development, behavior and emotions;
– The different types of attachment;
– The critical importance of establishing secure attachment (‘how to’ guidance);
– Vitamins and other supplements;
- Discipline and the foster child;
– How to deal with specific behavior problems.
Session 3: The Biological Parents
– Visitation and contact;
– The foster child’s emotions before, during and after visitation;
– Preparing the foster child for visitation;
– The foster parents roll before, during and after visitation;
– When the biological parents cancel or no-show;
– When visitation is stopped.
Session 4: Self Care of the Foster Family
– The impact of fostering on the foster family;
– Experiencing and dealing with loss and grief;
– The importance of support and support groups;
– When to ask for help;
- Resources for Foster parents and families.
|Please note:# Although the training manual is in Afrikaans, the course is bilingual.|
We acknowledge that it is very short notice, but this opportunity has come about after a group of candidates cancelled yesterday.
Dates : Tue, 27 & Wed, 28 May 2014
Times : 1st Day = 08h30 – 15h00 / 2nd Day = 08h30 – 13h30
Venue: CSC North – Child Centre, Arcadia, Pretoria (address will be send on registration)
Cost : Non-CMR Registered Foster Parents to pay R100 per candidate, up front. Married Couples only pay R150 per couple.
Should you be interested to attend, please contact Helouise a.s.a.p. on 082 777 5978 or via e-mail at helouiseS@gmail.com, to avoid disappointment. NB: Bookings will strictly be allocated on ‘first come-first serve’ basis.