a 7-year-old boy from Sasolburg nearly died when his house caught fire while his mother was out drinking at a nearby bar (Shared via News 24)
According to a Volksblad report, the boy was asleep at home when the fire woke him up.
“The child was lying asleep. He woke up from the heat and flames and smoke and could flee to safety through an open window,” said Zamdela police constable Peter Kareli.
It transpired that the boy’s 25-year-old mother regularly left the house on a Thursday evening, and would leave her child alone at home until Sunday or Monday.
She was arrested for child neglect at the bar and was taken into custody.
She will appear in a Sasolburg court soon.